Click to activate and use this control

Questions about HTML, CSS, Flash, JavaScripts, Myspace layouts, servers, and all that jazz.
webby

Click to activate and use this control

Post by webby » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:29 pm

I have been designing webpages for a while now, but I am new to Flash. After I publish a page from Flash, I preview it my browser, and there is a tooltip that says "click to activate and use this control" and I have to click the movie before I can use it. What is that and how do I get rid of it?

hal_nesbitt
Site Admin

Post by hal_nesbitt » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:47 pm

Hi Webby. This tooltip is the result of a recent legal battle that Microsoft lost to EOLAS , a patent holder, about the way Internet Explorer displays OBJECT tags in webpages. As a result of the lawsuit, Microsoft distributed an update for Internet Explorer requiring user input to display and activate ActiveX based media. The affects all ActiveX content, including Quicktime, JAVA, Acrobat, and just about any media/video player. This is a hassle when trying to integrate multimedia content into your webpages.

There are several types of fixes however. The simplest involves placing a javascript into your code that tells the browser how to display the object. (see http://www.halnesbitt.com/object-fix.html) The Flash movie (or other content) is still placed in the HTML using the EMBED, OBJECT, and PARAM tags, and it seems to work fine. But sometimes it will make the browser hang, and appear to still be loading one item, despite all content already haven been loaded.

A much better method is Bobby van der Sluis’s “Unobtrusive Flash Object (UFO)” method. This uses a javascript to tell the browser what to do with the Flash file, and uses DIVs to embed the content rather than the normal tags. It is very effective and easily implemented. To learn more, as well as download the necessary scripts, visit http://www.bobbyvandersluis.com/ufo/
"Maturity is stupid." - Benjamin Franklin